Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Annie Johnson Flint and Pressed

My aunt introduced me to Annie Johnson Flint.... I had never heard of her til recently, she was a woman who's mother died giving birth to her little sister, was orphaned, her adoptive parents died.... she had a crummy crummy childhood, but she loved the Lord, and that made life worthwhile, worth living, gave her joy! When she was young and going to college to be a teacher, she started getting crippling pain in her hands and it only got worse and spread til her whole body hurt (major arthritis of some kind) and she eventually couldn't walk and was bedridden.... but through it all, she loved the Lord and He sustained her. It was not EASY in ANY way! But she persevered. I believe she lived in chronic pain for the last 20 years of her life. She eventually passed on of cancer. Her writings and poems are still in existence and circulating. They have helped many countless people.... her story is one of incredible faith!!

Her story is one that touches my life everyday.... Fibromyalgia is a disease of chronic pain that at this time does not have a cure at this time. All I can do is my best to monitor and take care of my health and stay as well as I can... literally ONE day at a time! Her poetry inspired me and I wanted to share it as well.... Definitely one we can relate to!!!

this is a great site for her biography.... http://preceptaustin.org/annie_johnson_flint's_biography.htm
Annie Johnson Flint- "Pressed"

Pressed out of measure and pressed to all length;
Pressed so intensely it seems, beyond strength!
Pressed in the body and pressed in the soul;
Pressed in the mind till the dark surges roll.
Pressure by foes, and pressure by friends;
Pressure on pressure, till life nearly ends!
Pressed into knowing no helper but God;
Pressed into loving the Staff and the Rod!
Pressed into Liberty where nothing clings;
Pressed into faith for impossible things!
Pressed into tasting the joy of the Lord;
Pressed into living a Christ-Life outpoured!"

No comments:

Post a Comment